Constitution of the Chemistry Graduate Student Committee (CGSC)
Article I: Purpose
The purpose of the CGSC is to advocate for Chemistry graduate student rights and interests.
Article II: Membership
- Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a member of this organization. One is considered a member of this organization in any given academic term if s/he has attended at least one club activity and three meetings in the preceding or current term.
- The membership of this organization will at all times contain at least 5 MIT students and be more than half MIT students.
- This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT's Nondiscrimination Statement.
- This organization will not charge any monetary dues.
Article III: Officers
This organization will have two officers:
- The chair shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
- The chair will preside over all meetings.
- The chair is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- The treasurer is required to approve all spending of the group.
- All officers of this organization must be distinct persons and MIT students.
- Elections of officers shall occur during the August monthly meeting.
- Any member of this organization is eligible to run for office.
- Quorum for elections is two thirds of the group.
- Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from September 1st until August 31st.
- Removal: Officers may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the members.
Article IV: Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least every month.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the chair, unless s/he is absent, and in that case the treasurer shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting shall be one quarter of the members of the organization.
- Members of the CGSC will meet on a yearly basis with the chemistry faculty members holding the following positions: Head of the Department, Associate Head of the Department, and the Chair of the Departmental Committee on Graduate Students.
Article V: Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a two-thirds vote of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be one third of all members of the organization.
Article VI: Activities of the CGSC
- The CGSC will be responsible for organizing the following
- At least one graduate student forum per year to collect feedback on department/student relations.
- An annual summer picnic.
- At least one TGIF social per semester.
- The CGSC will also participate in the following:
- First year orientation
- Chemistry Department Visit Weekend
Article VII: ASA Governance Clause
The CGSC agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.